The laboratory provides hematopoietic progenitor cell processing and storage support for the Stem Cell Transplant and Cellular Therapy program. In addition the laboratory also collaborates with several Medical Center principal investigators using stem cell support for clinical trials.
The laboratory operates 7 am to 4 pm Monday through Friday. Services include the processing and storage of peripheral blood and bone marrow derived hematopoietic progenitor cells and processing and distributing NMDP cellular products.
Procedures are available for autologous and allogeneic red cell depletion, plasma depletion, buffy coat preparation, extended cryopreservation, mononuclear cell separation and subset isolation from peripheral blood.
Instrumentation and Facility
- Four biological safety cabinets with class II, type A processing capability of cells and tissues;
- Systmex XS1000i complete blood count analysis;
- Colony forming unit assays;
- Two CO2 incubators
- Two controlled rate freezers;
- Liquid nitrogen, vapor and liquid phase, progenitor cell storage.
- Bone Marrow processing (buffy coat isolation, mononuclear cell isolation, RBC-depletion, plasma-depletion), controlled-rate freezing and storage, -120ºC
- Autologous and Allogeneic Processing, freezing and storage of mobilized Peripheral Blood Stem Cells
- Hematopoietic Progenitor Cell Assay
- Donor Lymphocyte processing, freezing and storage
- T-cell isolation from small volumes of peripheral blood (10-20mL) for CD 3,33,14,19,56.
Availability of Products (BMT)
- Unfrozen allogeneic products are usually available on the day the sample is collected or the next day (for long protocols or late marrow receipts). Frozen products are available as needed.
- Autologous products are frozen and are available when needed (scheduled transplant).
- Progenitor Cell Assay results are available after 15 days.
- Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy
- FDA registered HPC laboratory
- College of American Pathologists