- 3 pounds assorted summer squash, washed and ends trimmed
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
- Cut squash in even pieces.
- Place lemon juice in a medium bowl and whisk in the olive oil in a slow stream until combined. Season with salt and pepper, then add half of the dressing to the bowl of squash, season generously with salt and pepper again, toss to combine, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to high (about 450 to 550 degrees).
- When the grill is ready, use a slotted spoon to place the squash on the grill. Reserve the large bowl and any remaining dressing in it. Cook the squash uncovered, turning occasionally, until charred in spots and crisp-tender, about 7 to 8 minutes total.
- Return the grilled squash to the large bowl, add the remaining half of the dressing, and toss until evenly coated. Let the squash cool until just warm or room temperature, about 15 minutes. Add the feta and basil and stir to combine. Taste and season with more salt and pepper as needed.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Squash can be roasted in the oven at 425 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until crisp tender.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced can be added to the squash during roasting in the oven, if desired.
- Toss mixture with 1 (8 oz.) package whole grain pasta, cooked & drained for an easy pasta salad.
- Add 2 cups grilled chicken or shrimp, if desired.