- 1 tsp. instant espresso-coffee powder
- 1 tsp. hot water
- ¾ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- ¼ cup dark corn syrup
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray 8" metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. In cup, dissolve espresso powder in hot water; set aside.
- In large bowl, with wire whisk, mix flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Remove saucepan from heat. With same whisk, mix in sugar, corn syrup, vanilla extract, egg whites, and espresso mixture until blended. With wooden spoon, stir sugar mixture into flour mixture just until blended (do not overmix).
- Pour batter into pan. Bake brownies 18 to 22 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center of pan comes out almost clean. Cool brownies in pan on wire rack at least 1 hour. When cool, cut brownies into squares. If brownies are difficult to cut, use knife dipped in hot water and dried.
Test Kitchen Tip: If desired, sprinkle brownies with 1/2 cup chopped nuts or shredded coconut just before baking.