- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground chili powder
- 6 skinless, boneless, chicken breasts or thighs (about 1 ½ pounds), cubed.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes with jalapeno peppers and spices, undrained
- 1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chilies, undrained
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
Optional: Baked tortilla chips, crushed for garnis
- Combine cumin, salt, and pepper; sprinkle over chicken.
- Place chicken in an electronic slow cooker; stir in onion, garlic, tomatoes, and green chilies.
- Cover with lid; cook on high-heat setting for 3 hours.
- Stir in black beans. Cover; cook on high-heat setting 1 hour. Stir well before serving.
- Ladle 1 cup stew into a soup bowl.
Top each serving with chopped cilantro and crushed tortilla chips.
Tips for Slow Cooking
- Do not open pot during cook time unless it’s recommended in the recipe. Every time you open the lid, you lose heat and extend the cooking time.
- Vegetables especially root vegetables like carrots, onions and potatoes often cook slower than meats and therefore need direct contact with the bottom and sides of the cooker. Place vegetables under the meats in the slow cooker unless otherwise instructed.