- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 28 oz. ground tomatoes
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil, thinly sliced
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook until soup is slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the basil.
- Puree the soup in blender until smooth.
- Serve immediately or store properly for later use.