Summer is a wonderful time to enjoy healthy activity outdoors such as swimming, water aerobics, hiking, biking, yard games, and walking/ jogging/ running.
Walking and moderate activity for at least 30 minutes a day can:
- Reduce your risk for heart disease
- Help control your glucose (blood sugar) levels
- Improve your cholesterol numbers
- Enhance mental well-being
To ensure you fully reap the benefits from your activities this summer, it is important to keep a few safety tips in mind.
- Wear safe and comfortable clothing. Darker colors will absorb the heat from the sun. Wear lighter color clothes to keep you cooler. Wear sturdy, well-fitting tennis shoes.
- Time of day. Take advantage of the longer days summer offers. Walk earlier in the morning or later in the evening to enjoy cooler temperatures with less risk for over-heating.
- Water. Drink plenty of water before, during, and after your outdoor activity to stay hydrated in the heat.
- Sunscreen. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend applying SPF 15 or higher before going outdoors. If you are sweating or participating in a water activity, it is important to re-apply. Sunglasses and a wide brimmed hat are also necessary summer accessories to guard your face and neck from intense heat.
- Weather. Summer storms can be unpredictable. Always check the radar before starting a new adventure.