All J-1 fellows/scholars (and J-2 dependents) are required to have health insurance as mandated by the US Department of State.
The insurance plan you choose to use during your time in the U.S. under the J-1 program must meet the minimum criteria as mandated by the Department of State (see below).
Insurance plans should be submitted to the Office of International Services upon arrival and check-in for review. The insurance plan must be valid during the entire time of stay with Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center.
Please consult with your supervisor or the Office of International Services to inquire about health insurance coverage eligibility. If you are not eligible to receive health insurance coverage through Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, you will need to purchase a plan that meets the policy requirements.
Health insurance coverage for J-1 fellows/scholars and J-2 dependents must include:
- $100,000 per accident
- $25,000 for repatriation of remains
- $50,000 for emergency medical evacuation
- A deductible that does not exceed $500 per accident/illness
Furthermore, the insurance corporation underwriting the insurance policy must meet or exceed the following ratings:
- An A.M. Best rating of 'A-' or above; or
- An Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of 'A-I'; or
- A Standard & Poor’s claims-paying ability rating of 'A-' or above; or
- A Weiss Research, Inc. rating of 'B+' or above
Alternatively, you may submit evidence that your current policy is backed by the full faith and credit of the government of your home country.