Carolyn Hill, PharmD, 2022
As a P4 student applying for residency, I was searching for a program that was challenging enough to help me grow, but supportive enough to help me excel. Flexibility was also very important to me. I wanted to be at an academic medical center that offered diverse rotations, valued research, and provided opportunities to mentor and teach younger pharmacy students (those of you who are currently applying know that there are many schools that satisfy these criteria). But as I started to interact with representatives from different programs, Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist consistently stood out. There is a strong sense of community and respect among the residents and preceptors here that has been evident throughout my entire experience; this sense of camaraderie really cemented my decision. I knew that I would be equally challenged and supported as I advanced in my training, and I couldn’t wait to get started!
Tanya Makhlouf, PharmD, 2021
I was initially drawn to the pediatrics program at Brenner Children’s because of the wide variety of rotations offered and the ability to become a well-rounded pediatric pharmacist. The pharmacists play an integral role within the healthcare team and provide a supportive environment for resident development. I knew that the diverse inpatient and longitudinal experiences within Wake Forest Baptist would help me achieve my career goals. I am continuously impressed with this program and am excited to complete my training at this institution!
Brianna Henson, PharmD, 2020
My first interaction with Wake Forest Baptist was during the Personnel Placement Service at the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting. I was thrilled to learn about the variety of learning opportunities afforded by the program and the new level IV NICU that opened this year. I felt the opportunities provided by this program aligned with my long-term career goals and could not have been happier with my choice.
Chelsea Ferguson, PharmD, 2019
Throughout pharmacy school and my PGY1 year, I developed a passion for pediatrics. After completing a PGY1 pharmacy residency, I strived to continue my training at a large academic medical center with a well-rounded training experience in pediatrics. Wake Forest Baptist offers so many opportunities allowing me to learn from a multitude of pediatric experiences, work in a progressive environment, and participate in a multidisciplinary approach to patient care. The preceptors and other members of the pharmacy department strive to help advance my growth as a resident and ensure that I am able to become a knowledgeable and successful pediatric pharmacist. I also wanted to train in an academic medical center associated with many learners, which would allow me to advance my skills in training and educating health professionals of the future. Wake Forest Baptist is an ideal fit for me and I am so excited to see where the year takes me!
Where Are They Now?
- 2010-11 Leigh Peek, Pharm.D., BCPS, BCPPS, Pediatric Clinical Specialist, The Children's Hospital - OU Medical Systems, Oklahoma City, OK
- 2011-12 Mary Submaranian, Pharm.D., BCPS, BCPPS, Practice Lead – Pediatrics /PGY2 Residency Director, Wake Forest Baptist Health/Brenner Children’s, Winston-Salem, NC
- 2012-13 Elizabeth Woods, Pharm.D. 2012-13 Pediatric Specialty Pharmacist, Wake Forest Baptist Health/Brenner Children’s, Winston-Salem, NC
- 2013-14 Coco Perry, Pharm.D., Pediatric Clinical Pharmacist, Wake Forest Baptist Health/Brenner Children’s, Winston-Salem, NC
Clinical Scholar/Instructor, Department of Physician Assistant Studies of the Wake Forest School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC
- 2014-15 Beth Sawrey, Pharm.D., BCPPS, Pediatric Clinical Pharmacist, Wake Medical Center, Raleigh, NC
- 2015-16 Ashley Wester, Pharm.D., BCPPS, CTICU Clinical Specialist, Mott Children’s Hospital, Ann Arbor, MI
- 2016-17 Lauren Payne, Pharm.D., Pediatric Clinical Pharmacist, University of North Carolina Hospital, Chapel Hill, NC
- 2017-18 Brittany Logston, Pharm.D., BCPPS, Pediatric Clinical Pharmacist, Atrium Health, Charlotte, NC
- 2018-19 Chelsea Ferguson, Pharm.D., BCPPS, PICU Clinical Pharmacist, Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children, Orlando, FL
- 2019-20 Brianna Henson, Pharm.D., NICU Clinical Pharmacist, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, Cincinnati, OH