Conditions and Treatments
- Core Decompression
- Knee Manipulation
- Knee Arthroplasty
- Fracture Management
- Hip Arthroplasty (Posterior Approach)
- Shoulder Arthroplasty
- Knee Replacement Surgery
- Hip Problems
- Ligament Injuries
- Hip Fracture
- Hip Arthroplasty (Anterior Approach)
- Robotic Surgery
- Knee Problems
- Chondral/Osteochondral Defect
- Knee Arthritis
- Joint Replacement
- Avascular Necrosis
- Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome
- Hip Arthritis
- Knee Osteoarthritis
Ratings and Reviews
383 Ratings 178 Comments
|Listened to me||4.9|
|Cared about me||4.9|
|Clearly explained my problem or condition||5.0|
|Addressed my questions and concerns||4.9|
Within Atrium Health, we use survey results to better understand what is important to our patients and how we can improve healthcare experiences. The overall Patient Rating score comes from the questions on our Medallia Patient Experience Survey. Responses are measured on a scale, where 0 represents "very poor" and 10 represents "very good.” Those scores are shown as 1 to 5 stars on the provider’s profile.
- May 28, 2023 So pleasant, relaxed and caring when talking to Dr. Shields. He makes the patient feel so safe & secure when depending on his hands & medical knowledge. I would recommend him to any & all. A great doctor in my opinion.
- May 27, 2023 Such a brilliant surgeon! In 2019, Dr. Shields operated on my husband for knee replacement surgery and my husband’s recovery was wonderful. I knew then that if I ever needed surgery, I would visit Dr. Shields as well! In April 2023, Dr. Shields operated on my left hip for total hip replacement. My recovery was excellent and now I am pain free. Thank you, Dr. Shields, for being the dedicated, thoughtful and compassionate doctor that you are! I am so grateful to you for the significant improvement you have made in the quality of my life. I feel so blessed to know you and have you as my doctor. Your dedication, compassion and care are unsurpassed!
- May 27, 2023 Great doctor
- May 27, 2023 Dr. Shields explained to me in detail my surgery, quickly diagnosed my lingering tendinitis, prescribed medication for my tendinitis and told me when I would be fully recovered.
- May 27, 2023 Very friendly and professional
- May 25, 2023 Thank God for Dr. John Shields! I am now free from hip pain! He’s No.1 in my book! Wonderful doctor!
- May 20, 2023 John Sheilds is super nice, caring, personal and truly cared about my success with my hip surgery.
- May 20, 2023 John Shields, MD is excellent: 100% knowledgeable, professional and personal.
- May 20, 2023 Dr Shields takes time to answer any questions. He is honest in his answers...even if you may not like them :-). I like the way he seems concerned and does not rush you. I feel confident in his care of/for me and will not hesitate to get my next knee done when ready.
- May 12, 2023 I think Dr Shield had a busy schedule on Wednesday so I had to wait a little longer than usual and sitting wasn’t the best for my knee
- May 7, 2023 Dr Shields is awesome. He takes time to listen & try to decide best course of treatment. I trust him completely.
- May 6, 2023 Very friendly and caring and willing to answer all my questions.
- April 28, 2023 Dr. Shields is a great asset to Wake Health. Everything went so smoothly for knee replacement. He shows a great concern for his patients. Very skilled. Incision looks perfect. Highly recommend him.
- April 28, 2023 Did not rush me. Explained the x-ray images and suggested exercises to strengthen muscles. All this done kindly and efficiently.
- April 26, 2023 We are very happy with Dr John Shields interest and care and appreciate his agreeing to do the surgery.
- April 26, 2023 Friendly, compassionate, caring. Listened, positive surgery results 3 months post surgery.
- April 26, 2023 I recommend Dr Shields to EVERYONE with orthopedic issues. His work is beyond reproach as indicated by the results. I have had three knee replacement’s and tibial plate removal from the doctor… I simply cannot adequately state the appreciation I have with his care…
- April 22, 2023 The very best medical professionals and facility that I have had the pleasure of visiting. I would give everyone I met a 5-STAR rating. I felt very comfortable with the entire process and was very impressed by the well-organized check-in process and professionalism of everyone I met to discuss my hip-replacement.
- April 15, 2023 Very caring and professional
- April 14, 2023 Dr. Shields provided the care I needed and answered all questions.
- April 14, 2023 Dr. Shields is the most attentive surgeon I have ever had. His treatment plan was exactly what I needed, and he helped restore me back to my active self!!! His caring nature is remarkable, to say the least.
- April 9, 2023 Dr. Shields does excellent work, demonstrates care and concern, and does his best to answer questions carefully and thoughtfully. Most importantly, he knows his job well and is a perfectionist in his work.
- April 7, 2023 Dr. John Shields showed great concern and was very compassionate about my pain and my care. He answered all my questions with straightforward answers that I could understand.
- April 2, 2023 Dr Shields was friendly and informative about X-ray and setting up surgery
- April 1, 2023 Dr. Shields was very upbeat and sincerely cared about me. I didn't feel like I was "just another patient"! He showed concern when I asked him questions, and he made me feel very confident that my hip replacement was a total success!!!
- April 1, 2023 Very professional. Took great care to explain my situation in terms I could understand. Encouraged and answered all my questions. Was not in a hurry and seemed genuinely interested wuth all my concerns.
- April 1, 2023 I have full faith in Dr. Shields.
- April 1, 2023 Listened to my concerns and gave me options on how to proceed. I will continue to come back if/when my pain gets any worse.
- March 29, 2023 I like doctor shields he’s very concerned about me
- March 28, 2023 I will schedule my surgery with Dr Shields.
- March 27, 2023 Dr. Shields is awesome. He’s informative and caring.
- March 25, 2023 He is a caring doctor.
- March 25, 2023 I really like him he is professional and I don’t have to ask if he really cares because he shows me he does. If I have a problem he does the best to help me solve it . He explains things so I completely understand. He is a great doctor .
- March 25, 2023 Dr Shields has replaced both knees and a hip on my husband. Now he has replaced a hip for me. He does great work and we recommend him to anyone who has hip or knee problems. Wake Forest is the best!
- March 25, 2023 Dr. Shields is one of the most polite Dr. I have ever been to. He listens and shows concern for his patients. I have told my friends about him that was going to need a knee replacement.
- March 24, 2023 Dr. Shields is brilliant, skilled, caring, and kind. I’m glad he was my surgeon for my hip replacement.
- March 24, 2023 Dr Shields is a caring Dr who listens to my concerns & answers my questions.
- March 24, 2023 Dr. Shields is the best doctor! He took wonderful care of me, has replaced both my knees. Can’t say enough about him! I have recommended him highly to friends!
- March 17, 2023 .listened to my questions and is a very caring doctor.
- March 14, 2023 Dr. Shields is very knowledgeable and competent. He is also very personable in both the hospital and office visit settings.
- March 11, 2023 Dr Shields is great to work with. He takes the time to explain everything and he cares about you.
- March 11, 2023 Dr. Shields took time to listen to my concerns and provided the answers needed for continued care. Very compassionate and friendly!
- March 11, 2023 This was my first time meeting him and he made me feel at ease.He explained everything well and the process of the surgery. He was very highly recommended and I see why.
- March 11, 2023 This is my second knee replacement with Dr. Shields, both times he has been more than willing to talk with me about my concerns. This latest replacement is not healing as well as the first, but he has eased my concerns and offered a plan to possibly quicken the recovery.
- March 10, 2023 Shields is a special dr. Very friendly would recommend him to everybody.
- March 10, 2023 Dr. Shields explained my revision procedure, answered all my questions and provided an excellent experience. I would highly recommend Dr. Shields.
- March 4, 2023 Doctor Shields really showed concern and cared about my recover and did a great job doing this Surgery. I'm very satisfied at this stage of this procedure. The Doctor followed up on all of my concerns. From start to this point his nurses treated me great and went far to make sure I had everything I needed. They also assisted with getting my rehab pushed up earlier, making the point that it was very important to get it started sooner.
- March 1, 2023 I completely trust him. He has performed two joint replacements on me and will soon do a third!
- March 1, 2023 Dr. Shields took time to fully understand my concerns and provide me with an explanation of what to expect in my upcoming knee replacement surgery. He did not rush though out time together and made sure I was comfortable and understood all the information I was given.
- February 25, 2023 I made my decision to use Dr. Shields for my surgery after talking with him. He allayed my fears about travelling from Raleigh for the surgery.
- February 25, 2023 Dr Shields is an excellent surgeon with vast amount of knowledge and expertise! He was certainly the right surgeon for my hip problem and I would recommend him highly to anyone needing his services.
- February 25, 2023 Dr. Shields was thorough in assessing the problem, interested in the patient and how he felt and what the patient wanted to have in treatment. He took time with his visit and did not rush through. He explained to the patient what his diagnosis is and made certain to expedite treatment. He cares about what is best for the patient.
- February 25, 2023 "Excellent listener, excellent explainer"
- February 25, 2023 Was a much better visit this time then it was the last time I was there. Dr. Shields has a much better attitude then the person I saw a couple years ago.
- February 14, 2023 Doctor Shields is a wonderful doctor who listens to my concerns and is ready to come up with solutions. He is very easy to talk with and very professional. I wish more doctors were like him .
- February 14, 2023 There is nothing really to say. He is a terrific doctor who clearly places patient outcomes above all other things.
- February 12, 2023 Don't have anything negative to say about this facility or staff. What stood out most was how everyone listened and responded to each of my concerns, whatever it was!
- February 11, 2023 Dr. Shields listens carefully to your concerns and replies thoughtfully. He is honest about possible outcomes and how to weigh options.
- February 10, 2023 Dr.Shields is awesome! He's now done 4 surgeries on my hip and knees and I trust his judgement and expertise to help me maximize my future health and activity options.
- February 10, 2023 Dr Shields makes you feel comfortable the minute he walks through the door . This is my second knee replacement and I am confident the outcome will be substantially better than the first .
- February 10, 2023 very good
- February 7, 2023 He genuinely cares about his patients and their results.
- February 1, 2023 Dr. Shields is very personable. Moreover, he is caring and concerned for the patient and issues they face. He explains options and procedures clearly, involving the patient in deciding on possible treatment options.
- January 27, 2023 My experience has been about as good as it can be with Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist. Don't wish for health problems but when they come, I know where to go. The most professional staff. Best care. Most up-to-date procedures.
- January 27, 2023 Caring physician who cares about patients concerns
- January 27, 2023 Dr. Shields was excellent, he came in looked at my x- rays, then he explained them to me. He was very nice and showing me exactly what was causing my pain.
- January 25, 2023 Dr. Shields is an excellent surgeon. I really like my whole ortho team. Thanks so much !!
- January 25, 2023 Dr Shields came highly recommended to me, he met and exceeded all of my expectations. He listens carefully and answers all your questions. I had a lot of trepidations about my upcoming surgery. Dr Shields made me feel more confident I was making the correct decision in choosing my health care provider.
- January 25, 2023 Dr. Shields is a great doctor. He explains well and takes care of his patients.
- January 21, 2023 Dr. Sheilds was very personable and professional and made me comfortable about the entire process.
- January 19, 2023 Excellent surgeon
- January 14, 2023 Excellent, clear, caring
- January 13, 2023 John was very positive and made me feel very positive about the decision I made. I feel very comfortable putting my health care in his and his teams hands.
- January 13, 2023 Great person to work with.
- January 13, 2023 Doctor Shields is a caring doctor who addresses your needs and is a personable, caring doctor. Makes you feel comfortable when communicating with him and is thorough explaining information to you so you can understand it.
- January 13, 2023 Dr. Shields replaced both of my knees and a hip. All working well. Davie Medical is the finest hospital I have ever experienced. A well run, professional and caring organization.
- January 9, 2023 Dr Shields is terrific, he is top in all catagories.
- January 6, 2023 Dr. Shields was very thorough and explained the problem so my husband and I could understand it. I wish it had been my hip causing the pain instead of my back so that he could fix it. However, I know what the main problem is for now.
- January 6, 2023 Wonderful, skillful, caring doctor. I would highly recommend him to anyone seeking knee replacement surgery.
- December 27, 2022 Dr. Shields did a great job replacing my hip. I am very thankful for his professionalism.
- December 25, 2022 Very happy with info given to me on upcoming knee replacement
- December 24, 2022 Very professional and easy to talk to
- December 24, 2022 Great visit
- December 17, 2022 Always willing to answer questions.
- December 17, 2022 Dr Shields is very kind and caring, I am 1 year post op from a total hip replacement. I have had no problems and will be seeing Dr Shields when time comes to replace the right hip.
- December 15, 2022 I have been completely satisfied with all he has done for me
- December 13, 2022 Very kind and knowledgeable. He explained what was wrong with my knees and told me what could be done to help ne,
- December 13, 2022 Excellent doctor
- December 10, 2022 John Shield is a knowledgeable and superb doctor. I failed to ask the best questions for my situation, but have sent additional ones.
- December 10, 2022 Kind. Brilliant. Efficient. Articulate.
- December 9, 2022 Doctor shields is my hero. A great surgeon, very friendly and makes me feel very secure in his care.
- December 8, 2022 Dr Shields was precise told you what was going to happen. Showed and explained procedure. He responsed to all of My Chart questions. I would recomend him
- December 3, 2022 Dr. Shields is a very kind, caring, understanding and compassionate provider. He listens very well and wants to make sure you understand your procedure he is going to perform and is willing to take the time to answer your questions.
- December 3, 2022 very good
- December 3, 2022 Makes me feel at ease and assured of the condition of both my replacement knees. He??s great and caring that??s important to me.
- December 2, 2022 Very caring and informative. Explained everything and all questions answered. Seemed to be a very skilled physician with wonderful recommendations from other patients.
- November 25, 2022 Dr Shields explained my need for surgery and was honest and straightforward in regards to it's success. He was very easy to talk to and understood my needs.I was impressed with his kindness and personality.
- November 19, 2022 Such a nice person. Surgery successful. Would recommend him to anyone needing surgery.
- November 9, 2022 Dr. Shields has a great sense of humor, is very courteous, is straight to the point, and genuinely cares for his patients. I'm happy to have him as an Orthopedic Hip Doctor!!!
- November 7, 2022 He is great
- November 5, 2022 Awesome
- November 4, 2022 Doctor Shields was extremely pleasant, knowledgeable, answered my questions, addressed my concerns. Doctor John Shields has performed hip and knee surgeries on many of the individuals that live in Danville VA and Pittsylvania County, as well as Caswell County NC and also a lady from my quilting group. Everyone had encouraged me to schedule an appointment with Doctor Shields and my experience was one of the best medical experiences I have ever had.
- November 4, 2022 Dr. SHIELDS demonstrates a level of professionalism, attentiveness, and care-to-detail which far exceeds most surgeons.
- November 4, 2022 He helped me walk again with my knee replacement it great!
- November 1, 2022 Great surgeon and doctor.
- November 1, 2022 Explained info in easily understanding way
- October 29, 2022 He is very attentive and informative.
- October 29, 2022 Dr Shields is a 10+. I recommend him with 100% confidence to family and friends for if/when they need the best hip/knee orthopedic in the area.
- October 29, 2022 I was referred to Dr Shields by one of his patients who is very pleased with her contact him. I found Dr Shields to be very knowledgeable, communicated by issues and options very well. I will highly recommend him to anyone in need of his services.
- October 29, 2022 A hometown young man that is doing well. He is very professional and a caring Dr. Recommended by many and we have confidence he will cure what all ails me with my knee.
- October 28, 2022 Went out of way to be informative and suggestive for alternative ways to correct the problem
- October 26, 2022 The best of the best!
- October 25, 2022 Spoke directly to me, explained the results of the x-ray
- October 22, 2022 Dr. Shields spent a great deal of time with me reviewing my symptoms, xrays, and discussing options. He also tapped my knee to give me some relief from the pain I've been having.
- October 18, 2022 Dr. Shields is a gifted surgeon. I recovered from my hip replacement surgery with a minimum of pain and with a quick recovery.
- October 16, 2022 I am very pleased with him
- October 14, 2022 Very good provides excellent care
- October 12, 2022 He is great. Seemed very concerned about my issues. Would highly recommend him.
- October 12, 2022 I chose him after talking to several people that know him professionally. BEST CHOICE !
- October 11, 2022 Very nice and I would highly recommend him to anyone. He explained my progress before and after surgery.
- October 11, 2022 Dr. shields was encouraging and helpful in addressing my concerns and generous in meeting my needs!
- October 8, 2022 I was completely satisfied with all the care that I received from my first appointment thru my surgery and post visits. I couldn't have asked for better care thank you.
- October 4, 2022 If anyone ever needs ortho surgery, look mo further than Dr Shields. He's confident of his ability thus easing your mind about having surgery and the post op work that goes along with it. Great communicator. Great group that works with him. Excellent team
- October 1, 2022 He was very direct and efficient. We didn't talk about the weather, etc.
- September 30, 2022 Dr, Shields has a very friendly, concerned for me approach, when explaining my recent knee replacement surgery and when reviewing my x-rays with me. As it turned out I needed an additional procedure done to improve my recovery. He explained everything in a way I could understand. He made it clear the decision was all mine. Excellent Dr.
- September 27, 2022 He explained treatment so I could understand. He is a very caring Dr
- September 21, 2022 Excellent Doctor
- September 21, 2022 I will most likely have to get my other hip replaced in the next five years. I will definitely go back to Dr. Shields!!
- September 21, 2022 Dr Shield gave me excellent service and I am very pleased with it and I will be coming back to have my left hip replaced I feel comfortable with him and his employees
- September 20, 2022 Dr Shields is great he??s patient and relays information that understood.
- September 18, 2022 Very professional, caring and to the point.
- September 18, 2022 Answered most questions before they were asked and very easy to talk to. Friendly, and smiled often.
- September 17, 2022 An excellent doctor who listened to my concerns and provided me with the helpful information I needed.
- September 17, 2022 I appreciate his honesty and direct explanation of what options I have for the future.
- September 17, 2022 Top notch doctor! 100 % satisfied with surgery he did on knee
- September 16, 2022 What a great doctor. He has all the attributes I'd want in someone who is about to do some serious surgery on my body. He's confident, professional, clearly explains, looks you in the eye, listens, answers questions in a way that settles doubts and concerns.
- September 16, 2022 All the times I have talked with Dr Shields he has been great. He did a great job on my knee replacement
- September 16, 2022 Very competent, caring. Treated me as a person, not just a case. Listened & responded kindly to my questions & comments. Would highly recommend Dr. Shields.
- September 16, 2022 Great surgeon - I am very happy with my results.
- September 13, 2022 Dr. Shields carefully explained, using the recently MRI of my right hip, the results from the MRI results report. I was then able to make an informed decision about next steps. Dr. Shields did a great job explaining the technical terms used in the results report.
- September 13, 2022 Very attentive to my concerns.. Health and feelings about my care.
- September 10, 2022 A wonderful MD have recommended him to several people
- September 9, 2022 He patiently responded to all my questions in a thorough manner and did not make me feel rushed. I have complete confidence in his surgical skills. That, in combination with his great bedside manner makes me highly recommend him.
- September 8, 2022 Dr. Shields was a very polite and doctor. I felt comfortable and safe with him.
- September 3, 2022 I've been a patient of dr. Shields for about 6 years now. He's performed 3 joint replacement surgeries on me. He's always very professional, explains the procedures well, and offers other options too.
- September 2, 2022 I am a screen satisfied without the shield he's a great surgeon he did a great job can't wait and he do the right hip
- August 31, 2022 Would have appreciated more follow up after surgery. My progress has not been good and evidently there are problems I didn??t even realize. I needed additional assessments and better coordinated care.
- August 25, 2022 Dr. Sheilds is a very caring doctor and listened to my concerns and addressed all. He is great!
- August 20, 2022 Dr Shields has tremendous knowledge mixed with care and compassion for you. I would recommend him to anyone with knee or hip problems. He is certainly the best orthopedist I??ve ever had.
- August 6, 2022 Dr. Shields always seems to be very concerned and caring. I was having various problems needing other surgeries, but he always reassured me. Very conscious in explaining everything and showing
- August 5, 2022 Dr Shields is kind,caring, personable, intelligent, and skilled. I could not ask for more
- August 5, 2022 Dr SHEILDS,EXCELLENT DOCTOR
- August 5, 2022 Dr. Shields took his time to listen to my concerns, answer my questions and explain what needed to be done to improve my life in regards to my health. He was an advocate for me, seeing my true needs and getting me the care that I needed. He never seemed rushed and everyone on his support team shared the same culture of care. It speaks volumes to what we have come to except in the healthcare we receive, when awe is the feeling you have when you are met with a provider that listens, does not rush and truly acts in your best interest. Much gratitude to Dr. Shields for lifting my expectations in how I should be cared for and what I should expect in my relationship with a care provider and gratitude to Atrium for supporting a culture of care and compassion.
- July 30, 2022 He was competent and caring. He addressed all of my concerns. Follow up to my emails in a timely fashion.
- July 30, 2022 Dr Shields was honest & to the point,took time to breakdown what and how he'll perform the operation.Aldo,what I'd experience during the surgery,body position in the O.R. And the process of healing afterwards. Sure I hope everything goes well.It'll be in his hands.
- July 24, 2022 Dr. John Shields is a very dedicated and skilled surgeon. This was my second hip replacement and I had no doubt that he would do a precise and thorough job. I am very thankful for him!!!
- July 23, 2022 He explains things well. He shows genuine interest in my comments and questions. He has a very pleasant manner.
- July 23, 2022 Humble, thoughtful, respectful??? listens well???
- July 23, 2022 I like Dr. Shields, because he was the only Dr. who finally figured out what was wrong with my knee, after I had seen about 4 other Dr.'s who told me that there wasn't anything wrong with it. So THANKS Dr. Shields.
- July 20, 2022 Dr Shields has a great bedside manner
- July 19, 2022 Liked him very much . Very informative. Caring
- July 19, 2022 So, glad I got Dr. SHIELDS he listened to my concerns and answered my questions about after my surgery. I'm walking without pain and 110% back to being human again. The surgery and nurses were great and made me good afterward as well. Life is good now!
- July 19, 2022 Excellent job
- July 19, 2022 Polite. Explained my problem so I could understand what to expect and if I need to see someone again I will call him.
- July 19, 2022 Great
- July 6, 2022 Dr Shields listened carefully to my questions and concerns about my knee replacement and was very reassuring.
- July 6, 2022 Dr. Shields is awesome and great in his professional field. He has answered all of my questions and concerns without being aggravated. Thank you very much.
- July 2, 2022 covered everything with me in easy to understand language. Listened to me with concern for what I had to say. He answered all my questions to my satisfaction.
- July 1, 2022 Dr Shields is caring and friendly. He listens and genuinely wants his patients to get better. I drive 45 minutes to see him and it is worth it!
- June 29, 2022 He was kind , caring and listened to me.
- June 29, 2022 Dr Shields is an excellent surgeon. My quality of life has improved significantly since I had my TKR and I wished I had not waited 5 years to have it done.
- June 25, 2022 Love DMC. Employees are so friendly.
- June 25, 2022 Caring and truly interested in my health
- June 25, 2022 Everyone was friendly, professional and knowledgable
- June 21, 2022 Dr. Shields was professional, courteous and thorough.
- June 21, 2022 He was great! He listened to me and relived my pain
- June 11, 2022 He spoke to me before going into OR which was very reassuring. He called my family after procedure. He saw me before discharge with summary of surgery. All very caring gestures.
- June 10, 2022 Professional, polite and answers all my questions.
329 NC Hwy 801 N.
Bermuda Run, NC 27006Get Directions
Hours of Operation
Mon - Fri: 8 am - 5 pm
Medical Plaza Miller
131 Miller St.
Winston-Salem, NC 27103Get Directions
Hours of Operation
Mon - Fri: 8 am - 7 pm
- BS, College of William and Mary, 2002
- MD, University of Virginia, 2006
- Gen Sur/Orthopedic Surgery, Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, 2011
- Adult Reconstruction, New England Baptist Hospital, 2012
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Vice Chair for Quality, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Associate Professor, Orthopaedic Surgery
This chart is a list of the most common health insurance plans we accept. This list is subject to change. Please check your individual plan to confirm their participation and the coverage allowed.
Due to the different physician groups and hospitals within the Wake Forest Baptist system, physician services and hospital services are billed separately. Please remember that health insurance coverage varies, so some services may not be covered.
If you don’t see your plan or you have questions, please call our Customer Service Center at 877-938-7497. We will do our best to work with you and your plan.
WFUHS - Wake Forest University Health Sciences (professional services)
NCBH - North Carolina Baptist Hospital
LMC - Lexington Medical Center
CHC - Cornerstone Healthcare
Wilkes - Wilkes Regional Medical Center
HPR- High Point Regional
N/A - Not applicable to services provided at facility and/or CHC
NC -Not Contracted, very low to no volume for facility and/or CHC
Wake Forest Baptist Health Managed Care/MA Contracts - January2022
AETNA CONNECTED ACA/Exchange: Accepted at all locations
AETNA (PPO & HMO): Accepted at all locations
AETNA MEDICARE: Accepted at all locations
AETNA WHOLE HEALTH: Accepted at all locations
ALIGNMENT HEALTHCARE MEDICARE ADVANTAGE: Accepted at WFUHS, NCBH, Davie, LMC, CHC and Wilkes (not applicable to services provided at High Point)
AMBETTER OF NC: Accepted at all locations
AMERIHEALTH CARITAS NEXT ACA/Exchange: Accepted at all locations
APEX MEDICARE ADVANTAGE: Accepted at all locations
BCBSNC (PPO & HMO): Accepted at all locations
BCBS HIGH PERFORMANCE (NATIONAL NETWORK): Accepted at all locations
BLUE LOCAL (WFBH INDIVIDUAL & WFBH X_Group): Accepted at all locations
BLUE MEDICARE: Accepted at all locations
BLUE VALUE: Accepted at all locations
CAROLINA BEHAVIORAL HEALTH: Accepted at WFUHS, NCBH and CHC (not applicable to services provided at Davie, LMC, Wilkes and High Point)
CIGNA: Accepted at all locations
CIGNA BEHAVIORAL HEALTH: Accepted at NCBH and High Point (not applicable to services provided at Davie, LMC, CHC and Wilkes)
CIGNA HEALTHSPRING MEDICARE ADVANTAGE: Accepted at WFUHS, NCBH, Davie, LMC, CHC and High Point (not applicable to services provided at Wilkes)
CIGNA LIFESOURCE (TRANSPLANTS): Accepted at WFUHS and NCBH (not applicable to services provided at Davie, LMC, CHC, Wilkes and High Point)
COVENTRY/WELLPATH: Accepted at all locations
CRESCENT PPO (ASHEVILLE): Accepted at WFUHS and NCBH (not contracted, very low to no volume for Davie, LMC, CHC, Wilkes and High Point)
DEVOTED HEALTH: Accepted at all locations
DIRECT NET: Accepted at WFUHS, NCBH, Davie, LMC, Wilkes and High Point (not contracted, very low to no volume for CHC)
FIRST HEALTH (COVENTRY): Accepted at all locations
FIRSTCAROLINACARE (PINEHURST, NC): Accepted at NCBH (not contracted, very low to no volume for WFUHS, Davie, LMC, CHC, Wilkes and High Point)
GATEWAY HEALTH ALLIANCE (VIRGINIA): Accepted at WFUHS and NCBH (not contracted, very low to no volume for Davie, LMC, CHC, Wilkes and High Point)
GOLDEN RULE INS (UNITED): Accepted at all locations
HEALTHGRAM (formerly PRIMARY PHYSICIAN CARE): Accepted at WFUHS, NCBH and LMC (not contracted, very low to no volume for Davie, CHC, Wilkes and High Point)
HEALTHTEAM ADVANTAGE: Accepted at all locations
HUMANA CHOICECARE: Accepted at all locations
HUMANA MEDICARE ADVANTAGE: Accepted at all locations
LIBERTY ADVANTAGE (MEDICARE ADVANTAGE): Accepted at WFUHS and NCBH (not applicable to services provided at Davie, LMC, CHC, Wilkes and High Point)
MAGELLAN (BEHAVIORAL HEALTH): Accepted at WFUHS, NCBH and CHC (not applicable to services provided at Davie, LMC, Wilkes and High Point)
MEDCOST: Accepted at all locations
MEDCOST ULTRA: Accepted at WFUHS, NCBH, Davie, LMC, Wilkes and High Point (not applicable at CHC)
OPTUMHEALTH (TRANSPLANTS - APPLICABLE TO NCBH/WFUHS ONLY): Accepted at WFUHS and NCBH (not applicable to services provided at Davie, LMC, CHC, Wilkes and High Point)
PREFERRED CARE OF VA INC: Accepted at WFUHS and NCBH (not contracted, very low to no volume for Davie, LMC, CHC, Wilkes and High Point)
SOUTHERN HEALTH SVCS (COVENTRY-PPO ONLY): Accepted at WFUHS, NCBH, Davie and CHC (not contracted, very low to no volume for LMC, Wilkes and High Point)
TWIN COUNTY (VIRGINIA): Accepted at WFUHS and NCBH (not contracted, very low to no volume for Davie, LMC, CHC, Wilkes and High Point)
UNITED BEHAVIORAL HEALTH: Accepted at WFUHS, NCBH, CHC and High Point (not applicable to services provided at Davie, LMC and Wilkes)
UNITED BEHAVIORAL HEALTH INTENSIVE OUTPATIENT PROGRAM (WFUHS ONLY): Accepted at WFUHS (not applicable for services provided at NCBH, Davie, LMC, CHC, Wilkes and High Point)
UNITED HEALTHCARE: Accepted at all locations
UNITED HEALTHCARE ESSENTIALS ACA/EXCHANGE: Accepted at all locations
UNITED HEALTHCARE MEDICARE: Accepted at all locations
VA CCN: Accepted at all locations
WELLCARE: Accepted at all locations
WELLPATH (COVENTRY): Accepted at all locations
WFUHS - Wake Forest University Health Sciences (professional services)
NCBH - North Carolina Baptist Hospital
LMC - Lexington Medical Center
CHC - Cornerstone Healthcare
Wilkes - Wilkes Regional Medical Center
HPR- High Point Regional
N/A - Not applicable to services provided at facility and/or CHC
NC - Not Contracted, very low to no volume for facility and/or CHC
- Quantifying the force transmission through the pelvic joints during total hip arthroplasty: A pilot cadaveric study. Bullock MW, De Gregorio M, Danelson KA, Willey JS, Seem ME, Plate JF, Lang JE, Shields JS. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2018 10; 58:69-73.
- Alternative technique for knee manipulation under anesthesia. Baum KS, Luo TD, Comadoll S, Marois A, Langfitt M, Shields J. . 2018 Dec; 4(4):452-453.
- Utility of Radiographs, Computed Tomography, and Three Dimensional Computed Tomography Pelvis Reconstruction for Identification of Acetabular Defects in Residency Training. Plate JF, Shields JS, Langfitt MK, Bolognesi MP, Lang JE, Seyler TM. . 2017 Dec; 29(4):247-252.
- Cost Analysis of Sending Routine Pathology Specimens following Total Joint Arthroplasty in the Age of Bundled Payments. Holbrook HS, Plate JF, Langfitt MK, Lang JE, Shields JS. Surg Technol Int. 2017 Oct; 31:182-188.
- A Bundle Protocol to Reduce the Incidence of Periprosthetic Joint Infections After Total Joint Arthroplasty: A Single-Center Experience. Bullock MW, Brown ML, Bracey DN, Langfitt MK, Shields JS, Lang JE. J Arthroplasty. 2017 04; 32(4):1067-1073.