Specialized Headache and Migraine Care For All Ages
Headaches come in various intensities, lengths and locations. Our team of headache-trained specialists offer the latest diagnoses and treatments for all types of headaches, for all types of patients.
The Comprehensive Headache Program at Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist is one of only a few academic, multi-disciplinary headache programs in the region. This means our patients have access to a team of specialists including neurologists, psychologists and physical therapists who all have expertise in treating headaches.
Being a part of an academic medical center means we are conducting cutting-edge headache and migraine research and you have access to the latest in treatments, therapies and preventative methods.
The program is for patients of all ages; our pediatric and adult headache specialists work together to come up with a care plan that is right for each patient. Learn more about the program’s pediatric expertise.
When is a headache an emergency?
- Your headache comes on suddenly and is explosive or violent
- Headache with fever, stiff neck, severe neck pain, persistent vomiting or unrelenting diarrhea, loss of vision, weakness, loss of consciousness, confusion, seizure, trouble speaking
- Headache after head injury, especially if the headache gets worse
- You cannot tolerate your headache even after taking your rescue medications
When do you call your provider?
- Headache that is caused by coughing, straining, exertion or sudden movement
- Headache is only present or much worse upon standing
- Concern for side effect that you are experiencing from medication prescribed
Headaches are a chronic problem and can often be debilitating. With a comprehensive and family-centered approach, the goal of our team is to create a care plan to manage your headaches and get you back to living your life.
Learn more about tension, migraine and cluster headaches.
Care and Treatment
After an assessment that may include physical and neurological examinations, our providers will work with you to find the best care plan to manage your headaches. A personalized treatment plan will be developed with treatment options that may include:
- Prescription medications
- Non-drug recommendations
Procedures may include:
- Occipital nerve blocks
- Trigger point injections
- Botox injections
- SPG injections
- Medications by injection or infusion in the clinic