- 2 tbsps. finely chopped onion or shallot
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa or barley, rinsed
- 1 ¾ cups water or reduced sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 ½ tsps. chopped fresh thyme or ½ tsp. dried thyme, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup bottled roasted bell peppers, diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, cook onion in hot oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in quinoa or barley. Cook and stir about 5 minutes, or until quinoa or barley is golden brown.
- Carefully stir in water or broth, thyme and bay leaf. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender and fluffy (cook barley about 10 minutes or until tender and liquid is absorbed).
- Discard bay leaf. Gently stir in roasted peppers. Season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper.
Test Kitchen Tip: If desired, stir in 1 bunch fresh asparagus, sliced with the roasted peppers