The Wake Forest Baptist Health Summer Nurse Extern program allows rising senior nursing students in an accredited BSN program to gain hands-on experience in two different clinical locations at an academic medical center.
Participants work as an NA II with an assigned RN preceptor for three twelve hour shifts per week. Externs also participate in weekly four hour workshops or observations each week. Participating students must be in an accredited BSN program with an NA II license (by May 22, 2019). Program dates are May 28-July 27, 2019.
Medical Surgical, Cardiology, Oncology, Specialized Critical Care (Burns, Neuro, Oncology, Surgical, Trauma), Pediatrics, Emergency Department and Speciality Medicine and Surgical Acute Care areas (renal, neurology, family medicine, transplant, burns, geriatrics, trauma, orthopedics).
Winston-Salem, High Point, Lexington, Davie and Wilkesboro
- Must be a rising Senior in an accredited BSN program
- Must be listed as an NA 1 with the North Carolina Nurse Aide Registry and NCBON by Jan 31
- Must have NA II by May 22, 2019
- Must be able to work the schedule of assigned RN preceptor and attend four-hour educational sessions each week
- Enhanced clinical competence while gaining self-confidence working in a large academic medical center
- Weekly 4-hour educational sessions include shadowing in area of interest and attending educational sessions (simulation, opportunity to practice RN skills and attend didactic sessions such as dysrhythmia recognition)
- Opportunity to continue employment as NA II at end of program
- Paid employment for 40 hours/week
- Opportunity to meet and engage with nursing leadership
How to Apply
Applications for the 2019 Nurse Summer Extern Program are currently being accepted through October 19, 2018. Applications are reviewed and selected applicants will be scheduled for an interview this fall. For application information, call Talent Acquisition at 336-716-3339. For program information call Amy Milner at 336-716-3432.