Applications for the 2020 Summer Nurse Extern program are now available.
The Wake Forest Baptist Health Summer Nurse Extern program allows rising senior nursing students in an accredited BSN program to gain hands-on experience in two different clinical locations at an academic medical center.
Participants work as an NA II with an assigned RN preceptor for three twelve hour shifts per week. Externs also participate in weekly four hour workshops or observations each week. Participating students must be in an accredited BSN program with an NA II license (by May 20, 2021). Program dates are May 26– July 25, 2021.
Birth Center, Medical Surgical, Cardiology, Oncology, Specialized Critical Care (Burns, Neuro, Oncology, Surgical, Trauma), Pediatrics, Emergency Department and Speciality Medicine and Surgical Acute Care areas (renal, neurology, family medicine, transplant, burns, geriatrics, trauma, orthopedics).
Winston-Salem, High Point, Lexington, Davie and Wilkesboro
- Must be a rising Senior in an accredited BSN program
- Must be listed as an NA 1 with the North Carolina Nurse Aide Registry and NCBON by Jan 31
- Must have NA II by May 20, 2021
- Must be able to work the schedule of assigned RN preceptor and attend four-hour educational
sessions each week
- Enhanced clinical competence while gaining self-confidence working in a large academic medical center
- Weekly four-hour educational sessions include shadowing in area of interest and attending educational sessions (simulation, opportunity to practice RN skills, and attend didactic sessions such as dysrhythmia recognition)
- Opportunity to continue employment as NA II at end of program
- Paid employment for 40 hours per week.
- Opportunity to meet and engage with nursing leadership
How to Apply
Applications for the 2020 Summer Nurse Extern program are now open.