Family members and friends of patients are welcome and encouraged to visit. However, in order to ensure quality patient care, specific visiting hours and regulations have been established.
General Visiting Hours
10 am - 9 pm
Intensive Care Unit/Coronary Unit (ICU/CCU)
To provide therapeutic support for the patient and family while maintaining patients' rights, privacy and delivery of quality care in the critical care environment, immediate family only are allowed in the ICU. Two people are allowed in the room at one time.
- No more than 2 visitors should be with the patient at any one time.
- Observe posted visiting hours and keep your visits short.
- Please do not leave children unattended.
- If asked, leave the room during procedures or when doctors or nurses are tending to patients.
- Check with the nurse before bringing a patient anything to eat or drink. Do not give the patent sweets, alcohol, cigarettes or medicine.
- Do not eat the patient's meals. As part of the treatment plan, staff members record what and how much the patient is eating.
- Do not visit if you have a cold or any other contagious condition.
General Guidelines for Children
- Children under 12 years of age must be attended by an adult when visiting a patient room.
- No children under 12 years of age should be left unattended in a patient room or waiting room area.
- Visiting children should not exhibit symptoms of a contagious disease.
- Children under 12 years of age may visit critical care at the nurses' discretion.
General Guidelines for Overnight Visitors
- Visitors who remain past visiting hours must obtain a yellow visitors' overnight pass at the Emergency Room registration desk.
- The identification pass must be worn in full view of security and nursing personnel.
- Visitors are asked to remain in the patient room.
Information Desk Hours
Mon - Fri: 9 am to 4 pm (some evenings)
Sat: 9 am to 4 pm
Sun: 1 pm to 6 pm
Wilkes Medical Center is a smoke-free facility. Smoking has been proven to cause serious health problems and therefore is not allowed in the building.
To learn more about smoking cessation options and alternatives for those ready to quit the use of tobacco products, go to http://www.quitnownc.org/ or call this toll-free national quit line at 1-800-QUIT-NOW.
Please do not use the bathroom in the patient's room since use of these rooms is sometimes monitored as part of patient care. For your convenience, public restrooms are located on the first floor opposite the Garden Cafe, and in or next to every lounge and waiting area.
Handguns are not permitted in the hospital or parking areas, except by law enforcement officers.
Security is maintained 24 hours a day, seven days a week for patients, visitors and staff. Should the need arise; contact security by dialing "0" to reach the hospital switchboard. Security guards routinely patrol the hospital and parking lots, and at your request will escort you to your parked vehicle.