Rheumatology is the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the joints, muscles and connective tissue. Many of these conditions result from a hyperactive immune system that leads to inflammation.
At Wake Forest Baptist Health, we offer a team approach in managing various rheumatologic disorders from arthritis (e.g., rheumatoid, gout, psoriatic arthritis) to inflammatory conditions such as lupus, connective tissue disease, and vasculitis.
When Should You See a Rheumatologist?
If you experience any one of the following:
- Local or generalized joint pain and or swelling
- Abnormal laboratory findings such as elevated markers of inflammation, positive lupus or rheumatoid blood test
- Unexplained musculoskeletal pain
- Unexplained symptoms like fever, fatigue, rash, anemia, weakness or weight loss
- Unexplained medical conditions that affect multiple organs
What Our Rheumatologists Offer
- Diagnosis and treatment of complex diseases affecting the immune system
- A dedicated lupus clinic
- 3 infusion centers
- Ultrasound-guided musculoskeletal procedures
- Comprehensive care for musculoskeletal conditions with access to various specialties (e.g., orthopedic surgeon, radiologists, physical therapy, occupational therapy, social work and podiatry)
- Opportunity for patients to participate in clinical trials of cutting-edge new therapies