How to Disclose
The Outside Interest Disclosure process for Wake Forest Baptist Health is electronic and available on the link below. To login, type your Wake Forest Baptist Health User ID and Password.
What to Disclose?
Disclosure of outside professional activities and financial interests that relate to your institutional role(s) and responsibilities, regardless of value, is required at least annually by the WFBH Policy on Conflict of Commitment and Policy on Conflict of Interest. This information is captured via the electronic disclosure system known as eCOI.
- Relationships, activities, and financial interests related to your work at WFBH (e.g. teaching, consulting, advising, speaking, research, editorials, service on committees/boards, expert witness, fellowships, unrestricted gifts, etc.)
- Licensed intellectual property, license agreements, and/or royalties (e.g., patents, copyrights, and current/potential future royalties from such rights)
- Fiduciary services (e.g. officer or board member of an outside entity) whether paid or unpaid.
- Ownership or equity in a start-up company related to your work or WFBH, even if it is just "on paper" or worth nothing
- Ownership or equity of outside entities (whether public or privately held) that do business with WFBH, in which you have day to day control of the investments
- Family members’ outside interests with entities that do business with WFBH
- Writing, membership on peer review panels, visiting professorships, or lectureships at academic medical centers, federal and non-federal study section membership, grant review panels, or textbook editorships.
- Service on an NIH study section or NSF grant review panel
- Mutual funds or other retirement investments in which you have no day to day control
- Grants or sponsored research funding you have received while at WFBH that went through the office of sponsored research
Additional Disclosures Required Outside the eCOI System
- Disclosure of project specific relationship with submission of grants, contracts, and regulatory protocols.
- Disclosure of outside relationships when submitting requisitions to Institutional procurement committees.
- Disclosure of all financial interests by standing committee members to their committee(s).
- Public disclosure of outside interests for all publications (including news releases), presentations (including posters) and approved media contact related to an Individual’s outside relationship or financial interests.
- Disclosure of third party-paid information in Concur prior to sponsored professional travel.
When to Disclose?
All faculty, leadership, key administrators, and exempt employees of Wake Forest Baptist Health are required to disclose during the annual online disclosure process which occurs in April or upon hire.
What if My Relationships Change?
Disclosures must be kept current. When substantial changes in external activities occur, individuals are required to update their disclosure within 30 days. Contact the COI Office at email@example.com to update your annual disclosure. The COI Office will send you instructions and the link to eCOI.
What If I Fail to Disclose as Required by Policy?
Individuals have an obligation to comply with policy. Failure to disclose may result in the following repercussions:
- Reimbursement to the Institution for misused resources, including salary and/or other forms of institutional compensation and other applicable fines imposed by outside entities
- Written admonition for placement in Individual’s employee file indicating that the individual’s good standing has come into question
- Ineligibility to participate in grant applications, IRB, or IACUC applications, or on committees
- Ineligibility to work with graduate students
- Retrospective review of all research activity on your PHS funded project (methods, data, results, and publications) to ensure that no bias has occurred, as required by federal regulation. This means all research activity must stop until the retrospective review is complete.
- Dismissal from an educational or training program
- Performance improvement counseling
- Dismissal of employment