Being in the hospital can be a scary and stressful experience. Certified Child Life Specialists at Brenner Children's Hospital support children, teens and their families in adjusting to hospitalization.
Understanding the concerns as well as common developmental reactions to illness and hospitalization, they work to create a more positive experience. As members of the health care team, child life specialists provide evidence-based services to educate, support, and advocate for families.
Child Life specialists can help minimize fears and increase coping of patients and families by:
- Preparing children and teens for medical procedures or treatments through sensory preparation and language, they will understand.
- Provide coping techniques and emotional support during and after medical procedures
- Support normal growth and development through play, activities, and special events
- Promote patient and family-centered care by providing education and advocating for patient and family involvement in care
- Provide emotional support during hospitalization to the patient and family especially at difficult times