For families with a concern about a child’s weight and health, Brenner FIT® is one of the most comprehensive approaches in the country. Our program treats children ages 2 to 18 who have a medical concern related to their weight. If you are concerned about your child’s weight, talk with your child’s physician. Brenner FIT requires a referral and treatment involves the entire family.
Benner FIT is available for English and Spanish-speaking families.
The Brenner FIT team includes physicians, family counselors, dietitians, social workers, activity specialist and physical therapist. Meet our team members.
Brenner FIT knows that changing habits is not easy and we are here to help provide support.
Through Brenner FIT, family habit change involves:
- Getting reliable information — there are a lot of fad diets and “cures” out there.
- Focusing on our behaviors and habits, rather than calorie counting and exercise.
- Finding physical activities that your family enjoys.
- Supporting each other.
- Making small changes that will last a lifetime.
How Our Program Works
Once your physician refers you to the program:
- Look for a letter in the mail or through your child’s myWakeHealth account for a link to watch the orientation session and decide if you want to continue
- Virtually attend Brenner FIT 101 class through a group WebEx video session
- Start the 6 months of treatment
- In-person initial visit with pediatrician and activity specialist
- Virtual initial visit with dietitian and family counselor
- Six virtual follow-up team visits
- In-person six-month medical review visit with pediatrician
- Decide your family’s next step
Brenner FIT Clinic is located at Amos Cottage in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
Brenner FIT en Español
For families who speak Spanish, Brenner FIT en Español includes a Spanish-speaking case manager, dietitian and family counselor as part of this expert team.
This information was last updated September 1, 2020. During COVID-19 details may change often.