Diagnostic Laboratories at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center provides world-class clinical and anatomic pathology services to our local medical community.
Our staff of over 250 experienced technologists, pathologists and professional staff are on a mission to provide you with exceptional service and the highest clinical expertise.
Anatomic Pathology Services
Anatomic Pathologists examine tissue or cells removed from the patient's body, either surgically or in less-invasive procedures such as needle biopsies, for microscopic evidence of cancer and other diseases; or, in the case of forensic pathologists, to determine the cause of the patient's death in an autopsy.
Anatomic Pathology Laboratories include:
- Autopsy/Forensic Pathology
- Cellular Imaging Core (Electron & Confocal Microscopy; formerly MICROMED)
- Molecular Diagnostics Lab
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Lab
- Renal Pathology
- Steroid Receptor Lab
- Surgical Pathology
Clinical Pathology Laboratory Services
Clinical pathology specialists work in concert with clinicians to determine appropriate tests and interpret their results, allowing the clinician to determine an appropriate course of treatment and monitor its progress.
Clinical Pathology Laboratories include:
- Blood Bank
- Blood and Marrow Transplant Lab
- Clinical Chemistry
- Hematopathology (Includes: Bone Marrow Examination; Flow Cytometry; Hematology; and Coagulation)
- Patient Blood Management
The HLA/Immunogenetics Laboratory at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center provides critical testing services for:
- Patients awaiting kidney, pancreas, and heart transplantation
- Patients requiring HLA-compatible platelet transfusions and/or bone marrow transplantation
- Patients with conditions or diseases associated with certain HLA antigens
- APOL1 testing for patients and potential donors.
- We offer comprehensive Clinical Genetics services, including evaluation of children and adults suspected of having a variety of genetic conditions, as well as genetic counseling for patients and families.