Our History

Wake Forest School of Medicine (formerly Bowman Gray School of Medicine) was founded in 1902 as a two-year medical school on the campus of Wake Forest College. North Carolina Baptist Hospital opened in 1923 as an 88-bed hospital in Winston-Salem.

Later in 1941, the medical school expanded to four years and moved to Winston-Salem. Brenner Children's Hospital and Health Services was established in 1986.

The Medical Center now has 100 buildings on 290 acres, including a 196-acre research farm and a downtown research center.

Today, Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center is a thriving, nationally renowned academic medical center. With 14,000 employees, it is Forsyth County's largest employer. It operates more than 1,000 acute care, psychiatric and rehabilitation beds. The medical school is ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the nation's best, just as the hospital has been since 1993.

Historical Highlights